Workshop on Energy Business Opportunities in NY State
October 5, 2017
Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT)
1500 Stony Brook Rd, Stony Brook, NY 11794
The Center for Integrated Electrical Energy Systems (CIEES) at Stony Brook University and the Center for Future Energy Systems (CFES) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute will be holding a one day Workshop on Energy Business Opportunities in NY State, on October 5, 2017. The event, starting at 10 AM will be held at the Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT), 1500 Stony Brook Rd, Stony Brook, NY 11794.
CIEES and CFES are a part of the New York State (NYS) network of Centers for Advanced Technology (CAT). The goal of this workshop is to enable the New York State energy businesses to learn how to leverage CIEES and CFES resources to boost economic growth in the upcoming energy environment. The workshop will start with a morning session outlining the benefits that an energy CAT could provide to businesses, by showcasing specific examples of successful CAT-industry projects.
The afternoon sessions will include a series of panel discussions on current status and opportunities that the evolution of the different energy areas present. The targeted audience is the NYS businesses, utilities, policymakers and academic faculty.
Click on the PDF link to view the presentation
10:00 Welcoming remarks– Dr. Yacov Shamash, Vice President for Economic Development, Stony Brook University.
10:05 Organizational description of agencies, CATs mandate and interactions—Dr. Ben Hsiao, Director, CIEES, Stony Brook University. PDF
10:15 The Center for Integrated Electrical Energy Systems (CIEES) success stories and operational examples; Dr. Vyacheslav Solovyov, Deputy Director, CIEES, Stony Brook University. PDF
10:30 Center for Future Energy Systems (CFES) success stories and operational examples; Dr. Martin Byrne, Associate Director, CFES, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. PDF
10:45 Sensor CAT success stories and operational examples; Dr. Peter Shkolnikov, Deputy Director, Sensor CAT, Stony Brook University. PDF
11: 20 Manufacturing and Technology Resource Consortium (MTRC) – Dr. Lisa Chichura, Associate Director, SPIR, Stony Brook University PDF
11: 30 Strategic Partnership for Industrial Resurgence(SPIR) – Dr. Imin Kao, Director, SPIR, Stony Brook University. PDF
11: 40 Industrial relations, intellectual property, licensing and startups – Donna Tumminello, Assistant Director (Engineering and Appl. Sciences), Stony Brook University. PDF
11: 50 Clean Energy Business Incubator Program (CEBIP) – What CEBIP is and how it works, client companies examples – David Hamilton, Director, CEBIP. PDF
12: 05 – 1:00 – Working Lunch, including presentation by keynote speaker Tom Falcone, CEO, LIPA PDF
Afternoon session, Panel presentation and discussions
1:00 – Panel 1: Development of energy storage and energy generation,
1. Advanced Batteries: Design, assembly, testing, and diagnostics (10 min) – Prof. Amy Marschilok, Stony Brook University.
2. Manufacturing and evaluation facilities at Brookhaven National Laboratory (10 min)– Dr. Pat Looney, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
3. High performance polymer electrolyte membranes for fuel cells and redox flow battery, Prof. Chulsung Bae, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. (10 min). PDF
4. Trend Analysis of LI Solar Deployment & all-electric lifestyle. Tara Bono, Marketing Manager, SunPower by EmPower Solar. (10 min). PDF
5. The South Fork Wind Farm: New York State's First Offshore Wind Project, Jennifer Garvey, Deepwater Wind, (10 min) PDF
6. Transitioning to 100% Renewable Energy on Long Island’s South Shore, Gordian Raacke, Renewable Long Island, (10 min) PDF
2:30 Panel 2: Deployment, integration and business opportunities
1. Integrated and decentralized control in electric power systems, Prof. Eugene Feinberg, Stony Brook University, (10 min) PDF
2. Monitoring of Transmission and Distribution Grids using PMUs, Prof. Luigi Vanfretti, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, (10 min) PDF
3. Energy Demand Response Technologies for electric grid on LI, Bruce Humenik, Applied Energy Group (10 min) PDF
4. Community solar 101, Chuck Schwartz, Community Solar and Partnership (10 min) PDF
5. Developing Scenarios for Navigating the Renewable Energy Road-Map, Dr. Jessica Price, The Nature Conservancy . (10 min) PDF
Center for Integrated Electric Energy Systems (CIEES)
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-6217